Thursday, August 4, 2016

Storing Up Our Treasures (7/31/16)
Rembrandt, Parable of the Rich Man

This past Sunday we heard the Parable of the Rich Fool. In this sermon, I examined the ways in which poverty and wealth can affect our faith, and how our possessions can make fools of us all.
Storing Up Our Treasures (7/31/16)



Sermon
          Good morning! How are you folks doing this morning? I’m feeling really good today because I had a very productive week. It was also a very reflective week. I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about the time we’ve spent together and how important you folks have been to me on my own faith journey.
          This really hit me on Thursday when I was at Costco. My cart was full of groceries and I wasn’t even paying attention to how much food I had in the cart. And that’s kind of a good thing. In the year or so between my graduation from seminary and the time you folks called me to be your interim pastor, money was very tight. When I went to the grocery store, I kept a running tally on the items that were in my shopping cart. I didn’t use a calculator, but I’d make a rough estimate and say to myself, “that looks like about sixty-five or seventy bucks worth of food; I’d better not spend any more.” I might even take a couple things out of the cart, so that I could get the total down to fifty or sixty bucks. In those days, my fridge was never more than half-full. So it’s always a really good feeling when I’m in the grocery store and I don’t have to worry when I spend eighty or a hundred dollars. It means that I’m not in a place of scarcity.
          On Friday I did a bunch of cooking and every time I opened the fridge I got this overwhelming sense of wellbeing. Well, almost every time. Once, when I opened the freezer and saw all the chicken and Italian sausage that I’d purchased at Costco, I had a moment of panic. What if I had to move to take my next call to ministry? What if I’m called to serve a congregation that’s far away from here? I might have to move in six weeks! Did I just buy way too much food?
          In that moment, I realized that I was standing at the intersection of this event in my life and today’s reading from the Gospel of Luke. This story is often called the parable of the rich fool. The story begins with a man in the crowd asking Jesus act as a judge in a dispute between the man and his brother, so that he can get a share of his inheritance. Jesus offers a sharp rebuke: “Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.” To illustrate his point, Jesus tells a parable about a rich man whose lands produced such a great harvest that the man can’t store the entire harvest, so he plans to build new barns with even more storage space, so that he can hold on to everything! And there I was, trying to fit all that food into my freezer; I felt like the rich fool.
          Money and wealth are not looked upon kindly in the Gospel of Luke. This is “a central theme in Luke and in Jesus’ preaching,” throughout the gospels, where wealth is a problem “in the context of the holy kingdom where closeness to God is life and attachment to things reflects soul-stifling anxiety and fear.”[1] Money and wealth are distracting; they can take our focus away from God.
          The rich man in the parable is focused entirely upon himself. The man is quite literally talking to himself: “I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.” Think about the language: I, I, I, my, my, my:
The man has shut everyone else out from his life and his thoughts. There is no one else in the story—just the man and his possessions—until God speaks to him. No sooner has he envisioned his future than God speaks to declare what the future actually holds for him.[2]
That future is God’s judgment; God calls the rich man a fool because the man has focused on his own possessions at the exclusion of God and of his neighbors. The rich fool was isolated by his wealth.
          Wealth isolates us, too. In times of scarcity, our fear can lead us to forget that God will provide for us. In times of plenty, we can be so confident in our own abilities to provide for ourselves that we forget that we are dependent upon one another. We believe that we have earned everything on our own and that we deserve it. We forget that we rely upon God for everything. We become like the rich fool in the parable—and it doesn’t take all that much wealth, all that much stuff for us to become foolish.
          Think of how big our television sets have become. Or just think of the number of televisions in your house! When I was kid, we had a 19-inch Sylvania. It was the only TV we had! We didn’t get a second television until I was in college. We all watched the same program. In the same room. At the same time. I now have a 32-inch, flat-screen, hi-def TV. It seemed huge when I got it, but now, 32 inches isn’t very big. But hey, my apartment is small, so it balances out.
          Of course, as the TVs have gotten bigger and better, we have to build bigger and better rooms for those TVs. This has led to the phenomenon known as the man cave, because if the TVs in our homes are as nice as those in a sports bar, then we need to have all the amenities in our home that we’ll find in a sports bar. That’s a lot of stuff. And it doesn’t matter if nobody else wants to watch the game or the movie that you’re watching because there’s a big-screen, hi-def TV in every other room, too.
          Even without intending to, we hoard these things. This can isolate us, even from our own families. We become like the rich fool in the parable and all we say is, “I, I, I, my, my, my.” While we’re in our own bunkers, we go on social media and post our own opinions. Or worse, we re-post other people’s opinions; we copy-and-paste other status messages that only seem to increase our isolation.
          For instance, there are a lot of status messages that say something to the effect of, “Click ‘Like’ and share if you think America needs to turn back to God!” Now on its surface, that seems like a good idea. But we say this from the isolation of our own homes and our own electronic devices. We say this at a distance from others. Then our like-minded friends Like the status and share with their like-minded friends.
          The very means of communicating this message—personal computers and cell phones—shows that we are isolated from one another. We don’t send these messages in conversation. What’s worse, in our isolation we become self-righteous. We believe that everyone else needs to change. Nobody ever says, “I need to turn back to God.” We always say that everybody else needs to repent. When we do and say these things, we show ourselves to be like the rich fool. We forget that we are entirely dependent on God’s grace; we forget that we must repent, also.
          Jesus concludes the parable of the rich fool by saying, “So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.” Thus Jesus offers a way out of the trap of wealth and materialism: Be rich toward God! This doesn’t mean that you have to sell everything you own and donate all your money to the church. This is not just about giving extravagantly to the church—though, please, please, please, be generous with your offerings. Remember, Jesus tells us the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor as you love yourself.
          To be rich toward God is to turn toward God and to turn away from the possessions that isolate you from God and from your neighbors. If your stuff separates you from God or neighbor, then your stuff may be causing you spiritual problems. As one of my favorite scholars points out, there is nothing inherently wrong with owning things:
But notice that for the [rich fool], determination of what matters has everything to do with himself—and absolutely nothing to do with anyone else. There’s the crux of the issue. Our criterion for possessions, in the end, should not be about what we amass, but what we have that has meaning—and meaning should be determined by the presence of someone else.[3]
That criterion may also be applied to wealth: if your wealth is devoted for the glory of God and the care of your neighbors or God’s creation, then your wealth may not be causing you spiritual problems. The answer is in the relationships that are facilitated by your possessions or your wealth.
          As Christians, we believe in relationships. Scripture is a witness to God’s relationship with and love for all of humanity. As individuals and as a community, we are transformed through our relationships with God and Christ. When we come together as a community of believers, we recognize that we are called to share the transformational love of God and Christ with everyone we meet.
          Ultimately, that love that we have, that comes to us through God, that’s the greatest gift we have. When we share that gift with others, we offer an invitation to be transformed. And in the same way, when we accept that love from others, we accept that we may be transformed through that relationship. If the gifts and treasures we have foster that love, if our possessions foster that love, if our wealth is used to foster that love, then we glorify God by sharing God’s love. But if we store up our treasures, whether out of fear or greed, then we are not living into the love that God intends for all of us. Let us freely give of ourselves, let us give of our talents, our time, and our treasure, in the same abundance that God has given to us, and may we all be transformed as we share God’s love. Thanks be to God. Amen!

BENEDICTION
          Now, Beloved, as you depart from this place, remember that we are transformed by the love of God and through our relationship with God. Use your talents, your time, and your treasure to show your love for God. Go forth and be instruments of God’s peace and reconciliation. Do not return evil for evil to any person, but know that we are all loved by God, and that we are called to reflect that love to everyone we meet. This is the truth and the love in which we were created. Go forth and live fully and abundantly into that love. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, let all God’s children say, Amen!




[1] Meda Stamper, “Commentary on Luke 12:13-21,” retrieved from: http://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=2923
[2] R. Alan Culpepper, “The Gospel of Luke: Introduction, Commentary, and Reflections,” in The New Interpreter’s Bible, vol. IX, (1995, Nashville: Abingdon Press), p. 256.
[3] Karoline Lewis, “Treasured Possessions?” retrieved from: http://www.workingpreacher.org/craft.aspx?post=4693

No comments:

Post a Comment